Responsibilities & Constraints
- My role was to develop a process, tool and logic to consistently develop quotes for custom cut wood projects.
- Create logical ranges in price based on the square foot (ft²) of the custom piece
There was no money invested in the project. I had to come up with a way to develop this logic and system in a way that would be easy for employees to use without costing the business money.
I looked through previous orders to find a theme in the pricing structure. I then worked with the owner to develop different ranges of pricing the custom pieces by using ranges of ft².
The stakeholders added value in helping me come up with logical ranges for pricing. This is where their years of lumber cutting experience really helped me create this project. They also helped me figure out the actual prices for each range based of ft².
- The business has grown to have new employees that can make sales on custom cutting orders, allowing higher stakeholders to do different activities to continue to grow the business, like making more sales
- Order times were cut significantly, from minutes to seconds
- Customer’s received standard pricing for their orders for the first time. If they wanted the same sized custom order a week later from a different salesman, they received the same price